Friday, August 28, 2009

Jesus, lover of my soul by Charles Wesley

This is the new hymn in our My Father's World study, taken from Then Sings My Soul, by Robert J Morgan. I found it on itunes sung by Red Mountain Church. I tried to find it on You Tube to share and found other songs by Red Mountain Church but could not find this version sung by anyone. It's simply beautiful and has really ministered to the girls and I the past weeks.

It was written by Charles Wesley in 1740. Charles had a collection of Hymns and Sacred Poems collected over time. When he fell in love and decided to marry, he had the idea to publish his writings hoping to bring in royalties-money to provide for his family. Charles and Sally were married on April 8, 1749, Charles noting:"Not a cloud was to be seen from morning till night. I rose at four, spent three hours and a half in prayer or singing, with my brother......At eight I led my Sally to church.....It was a most solemn season of love!"

It amazes me that he arose at 4 am and spent 3 and 1/2 hours with the Lord. The sad thing is that it shouldn't. I know its hard for me to press in and spend moments with the Lord each day and the thought of spending hours that deep in the presence of God leaves me in awe. It opens my eyes and shows me how far I still have to go. I have not yet arrived. I pray that my precious moments become more consistent and grow in length.

This is beautiful. You can listen to a *clip* of it on itunes for free or download it for .99 cents. Just reading the words bless my soul. I pray it blesses yours also.

1. Jesus, lover of my soul,
Let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll,
While the tempest still is high.
Hide me, O my Savior, hide,
Till the storm of life is past;
Safe into the haven guide;
Oh, receive my soul at last.

2. Other refuge have I none,

Hangs my helpless soul on Thee;
Leave, ah! leave me not alone,
Still support and comfort me.
All my trust on Thee is stayed,
All my help from Thee I bring;
Cover my defenseless head
With the shadow of Thy wing.

3. Wilt Thou not regard my call?

Wilt Thou not accept my prayer?
Lo! I sink, I faint, I fall—
Lo! on Thee I cast my care.
Reach me out Thy gracious hand!
While I of Thy strength receive,
Hoping against hope I stand,
Dying, and behold, I live.

4. Thou, O Christ, art all I want,

More than all in Thee I find;
Raise the fallen, cheer the faint,
Heal the sick, and lead the blind.
Just and holy is Thy Name,
Source of all true righteousness;
Thou art evermore the same,
Thou art full of truth and grace.

5. Plenteous grace with Thee is found,

Grace to cover all my sin;
Let the healing streams abound;
Make and keep me pure within.
Thou of life the fountain art,
Freely let me take of Thee;
Spring Thou up within my heart;
Rise to all eternity.

No comments: